- Commendation or Complaint
- Child Passenger Safety
- Crime Mapping
- Coffee With A Cop
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Crime Prevention
- Safe Exchange Zone Initiative
- Identity Theft Information
- Cold Cases
- Ordinance Reminders
- House Watch
- Kids Korner
- Nuisance Property Complaint
- Suspected Drug Activity
- Victim Advocacy Services
- Frequently Asked Questions
- E-Pay Online Payments
Police Recruitment Process
Honor, Integrity, Professionalism, and Dedication. These four words describe all the Carbondale Police Department Officers. Do you have what it takes to join our team and be a Carbondale Police Officer?
The Carbondale Police Department is comprised of 68 full time certified police officers serving a community of around 26,000 year round residents. When Southern Illinois University Carbondale is in session, the population grows to around 50,000.
The Carbondale Police Department offers several different assignments and specialized training for police officers including Investigations, Crime Scene Unit, Special Response Team, Hostage Negotiation Team, Canine Officers, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Mobile Field Force, Narcotics Unit, Community Resource Office, and a Traffic Unit.
The Carbondale Police Department hosts open testing for entry level police officer twice a year (spring and fall) and CPD also accepts lateral entry police officer applications year round.
Carbondale Police Application Requirements
- U.S. Citizen
- Age 21 (20 with certain restrictions)
Associates Degree (or 60 semester hours)
A. Education requirements go down with police experience and prior completion of police academy
- No record of felony offenses, or certain misdemeanor offenses
- Valid Driver’s License
- No visible tattoos
The Carbondale Police Officer Selection Process Is Conducted In Six Steps.
- Pre-Application Contact – Meeting the candidate and the candidate submitting an application
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Exam- Illinois POWER Test
- Interview with Board of Fire and Police Commissioners
- Administrative Interview - with Human Resource Officer, Chief of Police, Deputy Chiefs, and other selected members of the Carbondale Police Department.
- Pre-employment Screening – Includes Background Investigation, Psychological Exam, Medical Exam, and Drug Testing.
If the candidate does not have prior police experience, the Carbondale Police Department provides training to the candidate to certify them as an Illinois Certified Police Officer. The training includes:
Basic Police Training Academy (480 hours)
- Law (Criminal and Traffic)
- Police Functions and Human Behavior
- Patrol Procedures and Investigations
- Traffic Accident Investigations and Enforcement
- Firearms and Control Tactics
- First Aid
- Emergency Vehicle Driving Skills
Field Training (Once candidate graduates police academy)
A 15 week program which includes department orientation and assignment to a team of three different Field Training Officers which help the probationary officer make the transition between classroom training and “on the street” application of skills.
Carbondale Police Department Benefits
- Current Probationary Salary $44,808 (FY2015)
- Current Non-Probationary Salary $52,053 (For Officer 1-5 years of Service FY2015)
- Health Insurance
- Retire at 55 years of age with 25 years of service
- Two weeks vacation after 1 year of service, gain more hours with years of service
- Paid Holidays and Paid Sick Time
- Personal Days
- Initial Uniforms Provided
Applications for entry level police officer and lateral entry police officer can be obtained at City Hall, 200 S. Illinois Ave Carbondale IL or by clicking this link and selecting the appropriate Police Officer Application: Carbondale Police Officer Application
If you have any questions about the recruitment process please contact Sgt. Amber Ronketto at 618-457-3200 extension 465 or at firstname.lastname@example.org